Juried Visual Art Exhibition
The 2019 call for artists opens on October 10, 2018. The deadline to submit applications is January 18, 2019.
Join our mailing list to receive updates for the 2019 Festival.
The Juried Visual Art Exhibition showcases exceptional new art and is one of the pillars for the Festival’s high-quality visual arts offerings. The exhibition is hosted inside the Trust Arts Education Center (James E. Rohr Building) at 805-807 Liberty Avenue in the Cultural District during the Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival, June 7 – 16, 2019.
In honor of the 60th anniversary of the Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival, the theme for the 2019 Juried Visual Art Exhibition is Remember Me. As we look back at our own history within the arts, we ask artists of all visual disciplines to enter work that deals with concepts of memory and/or memorializing. This exhibition will examine artists role in creating identity and narrative, whether on a personal, social, or cultural level.
The Juried Visual Art Exhibition welcomes thousands of visitors over the course of ten days. Often reviewed by esteemed art critics, artworks may be featured in Festival press coverage, as well as purchased by festival attendees for personal and corporate collections. Select JVAE Artists have also been recruited to exhibit in solo and group shows as part of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust’s gallery system as well as other gallery opportunities citywide. All accepted artists will be invited to the private preview of the exhibition as well as a public reception. There is no application fee, and admission to the exhibition is free and open to the public. Please review eligibility, rules, and procedures before applying.
- Best in Show – $2500 (as selected by all three jurors)
- Juror's Choice – $500 (3 total awards - 1 from each juror)
- People’s Choice – $500 (as voted on by the general public)
Recent jurors include:
- Jessica Beck, Milton Fine Curator of Art at The Andy Warhol Museum
- Lucy Mensah, Assistant Curator at Detroit Institute of Art
- Alicia Wormsley, Independent Pittsburgh-based artist
- Lee Parker, founder and Executive Director, Neu Kirche Contemporary
- John Peña, multidisciplinary artist
- Lenore D. Thomas, Associate Professor, Studio Arts Department, University of Pittsburgh
- Linda Benedict-Jones, Curator of Photography, Carnegie Museum of Art
- Jason Busch, The Alan G. and Jane A. Leghman Curator of Decorative Arts, Carnegie Museum of Art
- John Carson, Regina Gouger Miller Department Head, School of Art, Carnegie Mellon University
- Nicholas Chambers, The Milton Fine Curator of Art, The Andy Warhol Museum
- Rachel Delphia, The Alan G. and Jane A. Lehman Curator of Decorative Arts and Design, Carnegie Museum of Art
- Betty Douglas, Artist/owner of Douglas Art Gallery, Rochester, PA
- Casey Droege, Co-founder of CSA PGH, and Founder of Six x Ate
- Aaron Henderson, Assistant Professor, Studio Arts Department, University of Pittsburgh
- Murray Horne, Curator, Wood Street Galleries/Pittsburgh Cultural Trust
- Kate Lydon, Director of Exhibitions, Society of Contemporary Craft
- Michael Olyjnik, Co-Director, Mattress Factory
- Cecile Shellman, Artistic Director of Visual Arts and Exhibitions, August Wilson Center
- Astria Suparak, independent curator
- Adam Welch, Curator, Pittsburgh Center for the Arts and Pittsburgh Filmmakers
- Lauren Wetmore, Curatorial Assistant, 2013 Carnegie International
Recent JVAE award winners include:
2018 Best in Show
Jessica Alpern Brown
2017 Best in Show
2016 Best in Show
For questions or concerns: Message us now or call 412-456-1076.